Neos Therapeutics Reports Second Quarter 2020 Financial Results
“We believe the future potential of our ADHD portfolio is strong following our recent sales force re-alignment and the continued growth of our best-in-class Neos RxConnect platform,” said
ADHD Commercial Portfolio
- Improvement in cash contribution from ADHD portfolio: Neos reported a 5.8% growth to
$128in blended net revenue per pack for its two core commercial ADHD products, Adzenys XR-ODT® and Cotempla XR-ODT®, for the three months ended June 30, 2020compared to the same period in 2019.
- ADHD market shows signs of rebounding after impact from COVID-19: During the second quarter of 2020, the ADHD market was impacted by COVID-19 with a believed “early summer” seasonal effect. This effect was primarily driven by a rapid decline in pediatric / adolescent prescriptions in April and May compared to the same months in 2019. However, for
June 2020, the overall ADHD market rebounded to levels greater than June of 2019.
- Salesforce returned to full operations in
June 2020: As of June 1, 2020, the Company’s ADHD salesforce had returned to the field, utilizing a blend of face-to-face and virtual sales interactions with customers. As of late June, roughly 70% of prescriber interactions were in person, as many physician offices returned to pre-COVID levels of operations.
- Continued expansion of Neos RxConnect patient support program: During the second quarter of 2020, the Company continued to expand the number of participating pharmacies in the Neos RxConnect network. The Neos RxConnect patient support program is intended to simplify the process of gaining access to Neos ADHD medicines, for both patients and healthcare providers, by providing affordable and predicable coverage to commercially insured patients while also eliminating many of the hassles that may deter healthcare providers from prescribing medications they consider most appropriate for their patients.
Development Pipeline: NT0502
- Phase 1 single ascending and multiple ascending dose trial to begin in fourth quarter of 2020: The Company plans to initiate a Phase 1 clinical trial for NT0502, for the treatment of sialorrhea in patients with neurological conditions, in the fourth quarter of 2020. The multi-part study will include single ascending and multiple ascending dose cohorts.
Financial Highlights and Select Second Quarter 2020 Financial Results
- Total product revenues were
$13.1 millionfor the three months ended June 30, 2020, compared to $15.6 millionfor the three months ended June 30, 2019. Total product revenues during the second quarter of 2020 were negatively impacted by COVID-19 related market impacts.
|Second Quarter||Year to Date|
|2020||2019||% Change||2020||2019||% Change|
|* Adzenys ER revenue was negligible in the 2Q of 2020|
- Gross profit for the three months ended
June 30, 2020was $7.3 million, compared to a gross profit of $10.5 millionfor the same period in 2019.
- Research and development expenses were
$1.3 millionfor the three months ended June 30, 2020, compared to $2.0 millionfor the same period in 2019.
- Selling and marketing expenses for the three months ended
June 30, 2020were $5.2 million, including approximately $0.7 millionin costs associated with the reduction-in-force implemented in May 2020, compared to $7.3 millionfor the three months ended June 30, 2019.
- General and administrative expenses were
$3.6 millionfor the three months ended June 30, 2020, compared to $3.7 millionfor the same period in 2019.
- Total costs of the reduction-in-force implemented in
May 2020, inclusive of the sales and marketing expense, was approximately $1.1 million.
- For the second quarter of 2020, net loss was
$5.5 millionor ( $0.11) per share, compared to $3.8 million, or ( $0.08) per share in the second quarter of 2019. Loss from operations was $2.9 millionfor the three months ended June 30, 2020, compared to $2.4 millionfor the same period in 2019.
June 30, 2020, the Company held $12.7 millionin cash and cash equivalents.
Conference Call Details
Neos management will host a conference call and live audio webcast to discuss these results and provide a company update at
Any statements in this press release about future expectations, plans and prospects for the Company, including statements about the Company’s strategy, future operations, commercial products, clinical development of its therapeutic candidates, plans for potential future product candidates, financial condition and outlook, and other statements containing the words “anticipate,” “believe,” “estimate,” “expect,” “intend,” “may,” “plan,” “predict,” “project,” “suggest,” “target,” “potential,” “will,” “would,” “could,” “should,” “continue,” and similar expressions, constitute forward-looking statements within the meaning of The Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Actual results may differ materially from those indicated by such forward-looking statements as a result of various important factors, including: the impact of COVID-19 on prescriptions for the Company’s products and on the Company’s business, revenues, results of operations and financial condition, the net sales, profitability, and growth of the Company’s commercial products, the Company’s planned future expansion of the Neos RxConnect network during the remainder of 2020; the status, timing, costs, results and interpretation of the Company’s clinical trials or any future trials, including whether the Company will initiate a Phase 1 ascending dose study of NT0502 in the fourth quarter of 2020; the uncertainties inherent in conducting clinical trials; expectations for regulatory interactions, submissions and approvals; the financial condition and outlook for the Company; availability of funding sufficient for the Company’s foreseeable and unforeseeable operating expenses and capital expenditure requirements; uncertainties related to the Company’s intellectual property, including the expected expiration of the methods of use patent for N-desethyloxybutynin; other matters that could affect the availability or commercial potential of the Company’s commercial products or therapeutic candidates; and other factors discussed in the Risk Factors set forth in the Company’s Annual Report on Form 10-K and Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q filed with the
CONDENSED CONSOLIDATED BALANCE SHEETS
(In thousands, except share and per share data)
|Cash and cash equivalents||$||12,679||$||16,830|
|Accounts receivable, net of allowances for chargebacks and cash discounts of
|Prepaid expenses and other current assets||1,612||4,092|
|Total current assets||40,406||66,559|
|Property and equipment, net||6,637||7,345|
|Operating lease right-of-use assets||2,791||3,044|
|Intangible assets, net||11,708||12,543|
|LIABILITIES AND STOCKHOLDERS' DEFICIT|
|Current portion of operating lease liabilities||708||681|
|Short-term line of credit||4,488||—|
|Current portion of long-term debt||20,096||15,836|
|Total current liabilities||60,860||63,355|
|Long-term debt, net of current portion||13,158||29,099|
|Operating lease liabilities||2,900||3,254|
|Other long-term liabilities||154||160|
|Total long-term liabilities||18,002||33,648|
|Additional paid-in capital||331,472||328,056|
|Accumulated other comprehensive income||—||1|
|Total stockholders' deficit||(16,173||)||(6,130||)|
|Total liabilities and stockholders' deficit||$||62,689||$||90,873|
CONDENSED CONSOLIDATED STATEMENTS OF OPERATIONS
(In thousands, except share and per share data)
|Three Months Ended||Six Months Ended|
|Net product sales||$||13,133||$||15,643||$||27,626||$||30,277|
|Cost of goods sold||5,878||5,099||12,267||11,495|
|Research and development expenses||1,323||2,009||3,358||5,206|
|Selling and marketing expenses||5,214||7,269||12,806||14,338|
|General and administrative expenses||3,593||3,712||7,958||7,505|
|Loss from operations||(2,875||)||(2,446||)||(8,763||)||(8,267||)|
|Other (expense) income, net||(544||)||670||(569||)||1,006|
|Weighted average common shares outstanding used to compute net loss per share, basic and diluted||49,749,925||49,727,718||49,743,027||49,715,707|
|Net loss per share of common stock, basic and diluted||$||(0.11||)||$||(0.08||)||$||(0.27||)||$||(0.23||)|
Chief Financial Officer
Stern Investor Relations, Inc.
Source: Neos Therapeutics, Inc.